Search This Blog

April 12, 2010

Grace


Soaring above the clouds
past the cliffs, boulders,
canyons, valleys,
I’m flying with Grace-
the Grace who makes
believers believe and seekers seek.

This is the Grace mother knew
as she said,
“When life gives you lemons
make lemonade.”
Her voice still rings;
a telephone with no receiver
on the other end.

The Grace I know
with such an elegant
flow in her style,
her walk,
her attitude.

I remember
the taste of blackberries,
sweet and tart in each bite.
Mother and I avoiding briars
as we gathered fruit
in the summer breeze.

Grace at our side,
keeping the briars
pulled back
as we shoveled berries
into our baskets.

Those days have passed
like flowers in the snow.
I’ve tasted the lemons-
bitter, tangy, sour-
but mother was right:
Grace will give you wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment